Table of Contents
Are you looking for ways to update your Aadhar card online? We’ve got your back in Aadhar update process. The following is a simple step-by-step explanation on how to update/change your name, address, DOB, gender, and other information on your Aadhar card. The UIDIA Self-Service Update Portal (SSUP) allows users to update their Aadhar card online; however, there is a catch. You can only update your name, address, date of birth, and gender online.
Users will need to bring supporting documents to the nearest Aadhar permanent enrolment center to update their mobile number, email, and biometrics like fingerprints, iris, and photos. You must also have your mobile number registered in order to update Aadhar online. If you’ve covered that ground, go to the procedures below to update your Aadhar card online.
Aadhar card update: Important things to keep in mind
Aadhar update is free for the next three months starting March 15th-June 14th online. Users can visit the ‘myAadhar’ portal to update their demographic details such as name, date of birth, address, and more without paying any processing fees. The facility otherwise attracts Rs 50, which will be the case if you visit physical centres to update your Aadhar.
Aadhar Update: Things to consider before updating your Aadhar card online
- You can only update your name on an Aadhar card twice in your lifetime, and only if the changes are small, such as spelling correction that is phonetically the same, changes in sequence, short form to full form, and name change after marriage.
- Aadhaar card’s date of birth and gender can only be modified online once in a lifetime.
- There is no such restriction on Aadhar update specially while updating the address in Aadhaar online.
How to update Aadhar card online?
You can update your name, address, DoB, and gender on Aadhaar card online using these steps
- Visit Self Service Update Portal (SSUP)
- Select ‘Proceed to update Aadhaar’
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and ‘CAPTCHA’ code
- Click ‘Send OTP’ to proceed
- Enter one-time password sent to your registered mobile number with Aadhaar and hit ‘Login’
- Select the field you wish to update online from the following screen. You have the option to select multiple fields. Language, mobile number and email options are temporarily disabled from the Self Service Update portal. You’ll have to visit Aadhaar Seva Kendra or enrolment center to avail these update features.
- The limit to update a particular field is written next to it
- After the field(s) is selected, click on ‘Proceed’
- A message will prompt on your screen, giving you a walkthrough of the process. Click on ‘Yes, I am aware of this’ and select ‘Proceed’.
- Fill out the Aadhaar update/ correction form from the following screen and upload supported documents
- An OTP validation will be performed using your current mobile number to successfully save the update request
- Aadhaar will verify the details before updating them on your database
Documents required for Aadhar card update
Any type of Aadhar update necessitates the submission of supporting documentation. The latter might be any sort of evidence that validates your claim on the Aadhar update/correction form. ‘Proof of Identity,’ ‘Proof of Relationship,’ ‘Proof of Address,’ and ‘DOB documents’ are examples of supporting documents.
How to change Aadhar card address
You can update your address in Aadhar using a validation letter if you don’t have address proof. The validation letter is the address verifier’s approval and verification (a family member, relative, friend, or landlord) who is willing to allow you to use their address as proof. The UIDAI will send an Address Validation Letter to the address, which can then be used for online updates.
- Select the ‘Request for Address Validation’ letter from the same Self Service Update Portal to apply for a validation letter.
- Login with your Aadhaar card and enter the Aadhar details of the address verifier. A consent message will be sent to your verifier’s registered mobile number/ email ID
- The verifier will have to give consent within stipulated time otherwise the request will be invalid
- Once the consent is given, a validation letter containing a secret code is sent to the address of Address Verifier
- Use that validation code to update your address on Aadhaar card online
How to check Aadhar update status online
- To check Aadhar update status, go to Self Service Update Portal again and this time look for ‘Check Status Update’
- Enter your 12 Digits Aadhar Number, followed by URN/ SRN, which is sent to you via SMS after you’ve applied for the Aadhar update online
- Fill in CAPTCHA code in the respective box and select ‘Send OTP’
- Feed that OTP in the OTP section and select ‘Check Status’
- The following screen will tell you whether your online Aadhar update request is in process, completed, or cancelled
How to update Aadhar card by visiting enrolment center
An Aadhar card can also be updated offline by visiting an enrolling center. This approach can be used to modify your address, name, date of birth, email, and phone number. The latter cannot be completed online. Here’s how to update your Aadhar card by visiting an enrolling center.
- Locate nearby enrolment centers via UIDAI website. The website also allows you to book an appointment
- Visit the enrolment center and fill Aadhar Enrolment/ Correction/ Update Form. There are no extra charges for the form
- Submit the form to the officer in charge at the enrolment center. Produce a copy of the required documents. To be on the safe side, carry the original documents as well
- Pay the required fees, which is Rs 50 per change
- And that’s that. Your verification will be done at the center. Post which, updates will be made on your Aadhaar card